Monday, July 21, 2008

My Bow-Tie Guru

During the last year of my undergrad at BYU I worked in the same department on campus as Bishop Huntington, my ecclesiastical leader, so I would run into him fairly often. I had noticed that he would occasionally wear a bow-tie to work, but one day I took special notice and, with Homecoming approaching, had this strange desire to wear a bow-tie to the dance. The next day, he wore a bow-tie again, so I asked him where a good place was to buy a bow-tie. He smiled and said, "I don't know. Ask my wife." Then he took me back to his office and showed me a website where his wife would order bow-ties for him. He told me that when my bow-tie came in the mail, I should bring it into work and he would show me how to tie it.

A few days later, my bow-tie came in the mail, so I anxiously brought it into work. Bishop Huntington was impressed with my choice of design and told me that bow-ties were sophisticated and made you memorable to other people. He took me down the hall to the men's bathroom and demonstrated in the mirror how to tie my bow-tie. After he had tied it a few times, he handed it to me to let me have a try. After a few false starts, I got it right and he helped me adjust the bow to make it look its best. I tied it a few more times for practice and he told me that he was impressed with how quickly I had learned the technique. When we were finished, he gave me a practice bow-tie, one of his own bow-ties that he didn't wear much anymore, so that I wouldn't have to wear out my new bow-tie with continued practice.

1 comment:

ishtheintrepid said...

LOL, I've heard many things about Bishop Huntington, but never this. The post reminds me of a recent Dr. Who conversation:

The Doctor: Bowties are cool.
Amy: Are you from another planet?
The Doctor: Yes.

:)